Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fun Software to try.

Just back from the good old US of A with some fun software to play with here in India. While in the states I picked up Family Atlas, a genealogy mapping and publishing software, as well as GenSmarts, an automated research assistant.  Both were easy to load and initiate into my research.  I really enjoyed the mapping program, as I have always wanted to see the trail my family followed after coming to the United States. You can then print the maps in PDF.

The research assistant hasn't provided any new yet but then I have only played with on a very well researched line.  I am hoping that it will help me document some of the lesser researched lines. The two programs can be found here:  http://www.rootsmagic.com/family-atlas/ and for GenSmarts  http://www.gensmarts.com/ . One of the things about GenSmarts is that you can try before you buy.  I always appreciate it when a company has enough confidence in their product to let you try before you get out your credit card.

I also thought that the tutorials were very helpful and well done, after watching them I was able to jump right in and use the software.  In fact, I need to run so I can use it some more.  Have a great day!

MJ

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me about GenSmarts, which has been on my 'List of Things To Do' for a while. If only there were more hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like using gensmarts...it sometimes points me to an unexpected lead.
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete